Basic setup configuration for the Linksys router – linksyssmartwifi.com
Steps to setup the Linksys router:
- Firstly, access the router’s web based utility. The user can gain access to the linksys router web based utility using www.linksyssmartwifi.com or the default IP address of the linksys router i.e. either 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1.
- Enter the default username and password for the router when asked. The default username and password are provided on the bottom of the linksys router. They will be case sensitive.
- The Setup tab will appear. Click on the Setup tab.
- Then, go to the Basic Setup page.
- Enter the first DNS resolver. Simply enter 22.214.171.124 in the Static DNS 1 field.
- Now, enter the second DNS resolver. Simply enter 126.96.36.199 in the Static DNS 2 field.
- Then, enter the third DNS resolver. Enter 188.8.131.52 in the Static DNS 3 field.
You can chose to leave this field blank as well.
- Lastly, save the settings for the router.
To conclude: The Linksys router will have been configured properly now. The user can start using their router and connect to their other devices now.
Troubleshooting steps to manually setup the Linksys router
- Access the router’s web-based setup page. Open any web browser and type www.linksyssmartwifi.com in the address bar. Alternatively, the user can also use the default IP address i.e. 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 in the address bar then press Enter.
- You will be asked for your login details. Enter admin in both the provided fields and click OK to proceed.
- At last, configure the wireless settings of the router using the web based utility manager.
The wireless settings being configured may depend on the type of the router that the user possesses. For more information, read here.
How to manually access the admin login page for the Linksys router
- Firstly, click the wireless tab once on the web based interface of the router.
- Then select Manual from the Configuration View in the Basic Wireless Settings of the Linksys router.
- After that, select the Mixed option on the Network Mode drop-down list. This allows devices with different wireless standards to still be able to connect without any problems.
- Then type in the new user name or Network Name (SSID) in the provided field.
- After that, from the Channel Width drop-down list, select the Auto (20MHz or 40MHz) option.
- Then select a Channel from the drop-down list. The non overlapping channels are 1.6 and 11 and are most recommended.
- Select your preferred SSID Broadcast setting. If you want your wireless network name to be displayed publicly, select Enabled. Otherwise, select Disabled.
- Lastly, click the Save Settings option to save the settings.
Steps to login to the Linksys router using linksyssmartwifi.com
- Firstly, enter the default IP address in any internet browser. The default IP address for the Linksys router is 192.168.1.1.
Alternatively, the user can even type www.linksyssmartwifi.com in the address bar to access the web based utility for the router.
- Then, enter the default information when asked in the fields provided in the dialogue box. The default information is provided at the bottom of the router.
- If the default information is not accepted by the interface, then the user might have changed the information in the past. Try entering any other passwords.
If that fails too, the user will have to reset the router back to its factory default settings and start from Step 1.
The user will have successfully logged in to the linksys router now.
Steps to manually reset the Linksys router
- Firstly, press the reset button using a paper clip or a pin. The reset button is located at the back end of the router besides the ports.
- Then keep holding the reset button for ten seconds.
- After that, release it after ten seconds. The LED lights will start blinking. The router will have been reset now.
- Do not remove the linksys router from the power source when the reset is underway as it can damage the router’s firmware.
Troubleshooting steps to manually update the firmware of the linksys router
To prevent any update failures, please follow the steps provided:
Use a wired computer for stable connectivity. It is highly recommended to update the firmware using a wired connection as Wi-Fi connection may prove unstable and drop connections.
- Use another browser if your default browser does not work. Alternatively, you can use another computer to perform the upgrade.
- Download the latest and correct firmware file for the respective Linksys router.
- Remove any storage devices if connected to the Linksys router to prevent any data loss.
Steps to manually update the firmware of the linksys router
- Download the latest firmware file for the Linksys router from the Linksys Support Site and save it to the desired location.
- Open an internet browser to access the web based utility page for the router using either www.linksyssmartwifi.com or 192.168.1.1. Enter the default information when asked to in the respective fields. For most of the Linksys router, the default username and password is admin for both the fields.
- Click the Administration tab. Now, click the Firmware Update option.
- Click the Browse button to locate the previously downloaded file.
- Once located, click the Open tab.
- Click the Start Update option to begin the update.
- Do not turn off the router or remove it from the power source during the update as it can damage the router.
- Make sure that the version of the firmware is latest.
Steps to change the administrator username and password for the Linksys router
- Access the router’s web based utility page. Simply type www.linksyssmartwifi.com or 192.168.1.1 in the address bar to do so.
- When the prompt appears, enter the default username and password for the Linksys router. The admin username and password will be provided at the bottom of the router.
- The web based utility page will appear.
- Click the Administration option.
- Enter the new desired password in the field provided. Re-enter the password for confirmation.
- Click the Save Settings option to implement the changes made.
- Click the Continue button on the next page to finish.
- Do not share the password with anyone.
- Make sure not to include any password hints inside the username.
Find more detailed steps about accessing your router here.